Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Pausing the book

Hi,

Okay so after going through experiment 15, i was trying to switch resistors values around to see if i understood properly.

Why use a 10k here, why a 15k there? etc...

My goal is to learn electronic so I can be able to build whatever i want, not only follow other people diagrams and circuits. I want to build my own stuff.

Obviously my knowledge is not up to par, i hate doing stuff from the experiments and not understanding why it work the way it does.
And i especially hate moving forward to the next experiments before having understood the previous one properly, not just on the surface but why it work, the formulas behind it which is just not in this book.


So i went on to google and try to find something that could help me bridge the gap.


And on youtube university, i finally found something.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqQ8wO-lNmI

This is excellent, a whole course on electronics going from the very beginning up until very advanced.

All free, very well explained and very organized.

I finished the first couple of talks and i decided that i will go through a whole bunch of them before resuming with the Make: electronics book.

I'm not giving up on this just yet.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Patrice,

    It appears you may have rushed through the experiments a bit too fast. I wouldn't get too hung up on exactly "what" values are used when examining caps and resistors. That'll slowly come naturally without getting bogged down in formulas (at least in my experience).

    Try and keep your primary focus on being able to visualize the complete flow of current through the circuits and understanding how the various events (switch press, cap charge, cap discharge, etc...) impact the flow and ultimately enable the circuit to function. Most importantly, take your time and don't rush through things, as the experiments get a lot more complicated from Experiment 16 onward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Christopher.

    I see that you have been doing more observing of the circuits, and playing around with the multimeter.

    watching your videos was a good complement for me and i want to thank you for it.

    ReplyDelete