Monday, April 16, 2012

Make: electronics book, Experiment number #5

Make: electronics book, Experiment number #5

I could only do one experiment yesterday.

Due to spending all of my free time buying some kind of tool box at Canadian tire with tiny compartments and sorting all of the tiny components in it all day.
































What an enormous pain that was!

After all of the work required to make the list of components needed for the experiments in the book,
- go to an electronics store and buy the components and tools (many hours)
- buy some kind of tool box with compartments
- sort out all of the components in the tool box (some of them i cannot sort since i have no idea what they are)
I can confidently say that you are much better off buying the kits (kit 1 - kit 2) after all.
If you are an adult with a job, this is 2 full day of work that you need to invest.
An entire weekend.
I guess if you are a student and have plenty of time on your hand, you can buy all of that stuff yourself but it just doesn't worth it otherwise.

Also it turned out to have been much more expansive to buy all of that stuff myself.
I didn't make proper calculation but after buying everything, i think i'm in pretty close to $400 and buying the tools and kits from Maker SHED would have been about $300.
AND I'm still missing pieces and some of them are probably the wrong ones.


Anyhow, the experiment itself was fine.

Connecting 2 SPDT together and understanding the switching...
(learning what things like SPDT mean ;) )

I realize i only had 1 SPDT big enough to put wires on.

I had a second one but it was very small, so we tried (me and my wife) to solder some wires to it.
I ended up breaking the thing in the process... bummer.

I was putting my things away ready to give up for the day when i realize i had a tiny slider switch, which is a SPDT as well just with a slider instead of a arm.

So instead of doing the same mistake and destroying the thing trying to solder wires to it, I took out the breadboard and with the switch with it.
(thankfully, my breadboard knowledge is still good after so many years since college.)

Nothing too crazy, just wiring the circuit and testing it.
It was fun but too bad i couldn't do any more experiments.

I have the feeling this book will end up taking longer than i thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment